Vidhu Vinod Chopra launches daughter Ishaa's book 'Finding Order In Disorder: A Bipolar Memoir': "VVC is the Guru Dutt of our times, minus the mental illness"

Vidhu Vinod Chopra graced the launch of his daughter Ishaa Vinod Chopra’s book, 'Finding Order In Disorder: A Bipolar Memoir'. Published by Om Books International, it is about Ishaa's battle with bipolar disorder. Vidhu was joined by Shantanu Ray Chaudhuri, editor-in-chief of Om Books International, Dr Rajesh M Parikh, the Director of Medical Research and Hon. Neuropsychiatrist at the Jaslok Hospital and Research Centre and Aastha Kottary, who runs a podcast named 'Slow Down With Aastha'. All of them raised some important points on mental health and also raised laughs.

Dr Rajesh M Parikh revealed that when creative people in history went through depression, it reflected in their art. He proved his point by showing paintings of Picasso in the ‘Pink Period’ – when his artwork was vibrant and the ‘Blue Period’ – when he went through a low, resulting in paintings that were in sync with the state of his mind.

Dr Parikh then decided to come closer home. He joked as he said, “Our film Vinod gets offended if you compare him to any other director. A comparison with Steven Spielberg would be taken as a compliment by most people. But Vinod won’t like it at all!”

He continued, “However, I think the one person he wouldn’t mind being compared to and he should be compared to is Guru Dutt. He was in a different league and he had bipolar disorder. Tragically, he took his own life for reasons that we don’t need to get into.”

He further said, “At one point, Guru Dutt made films which were full of fun. Movies like Aar-Paar (1954) etc. were happy. And during his depressing period, he made Pyaasa (1957) and Kaagaz Ke Phool (1959).

To show how Guru Dutt’s “illness affected his creativity”, Dr Parikh showed peppy songs like 'Jaane Kahan Mera Jigar Gaya Ji' from Mr. & Mrs. '55 (1955) and 'Mohabbat Kar Lo Ji Bhar Lo' from Aar-Paar. This is when Guru’s mental health was stable. Songs of Pyaasa and Kaagaz Ke Phool were then played which showed a stark difference in the mood and approach.

Dr Rajesh M Parikh then looked at Vidhu Vinod Chopra and said, “You are the Guru Dutt of our times, minus the (mental) illness!”

Vidhu Vinod Chopra opened up on how he and his family supported Ishaa when she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. He observed that just like how Lord Shiva consumed the poison, the family members of those having mental illness also go through a lot.

Going by the book’s name, 'Finding Order In Disorder', the panellists were asked how do they find order in disorder. Vidhu Vinod Chopra said, “Mostly, my order comes from the fact that I get lost in what I am creating. My problems are the problems of the scripts and the problems of the films that I am making. Therefore, the solution to these problems is also comparatively easy.”

He added, “One of the ways (that I find order) is that I share everything with my family. I don’t hold things in my heart. If I like something, I express it. If I dislike something, I express it. There’s no conflict in the mind. I believe most people wouldn’t do this. But I do as I keep the child in me alive. And it helps me.”

He also mouthed beautiful lines that he himself wrote, “Chal zero pe chalte hai, chal yaar khud se milte hai. Tu has ke jiye ya ro ke jiye, ek umr toh tujhko jeena hai.” Some more lines that he expressed were, “Chal sach ki dagar chalte hai, chal apne bachpan se phir milte hai, chal bholepan se phir milte hai. Dil khol ke seeti maarenge. Yaaron ko gale lagayenge. Jo bacha kucha hai tiffin mein, mil jhul kar phir kha lenge.”

He ended by saying, “I find order in what I create. I am living in two worlds. I, of course, live in this world, which is with my family. But there’s another world in which I live. It’s easier for me to jump worlds (laughs)!”

Aastha Kottary, on the other hand, confessed that a close friend took his own life at a very young age. He was depressed and moreover, his family members failed to acknowledge his illness. She also pointed out that social media apps have more minuses than plusses and that it can be detrimental to mental health. The danger is more when one is already going through issues in life. She exulted, “In that few minutes of scrolling, you’ll see posts that will make you extremely happy, disgusted, envious etc. Our brain is not designed to feel 10 emotions in 5 minutes.”

Ishaa Vinod Chopra, based in Canada, couldn’t make it but she sent a video message which was played at the beginning of the book launch. Also present at the event were Vidhu Vinod Chopra’s wife Anupama Chopra and their daughter Zooni.

Also Read: Nana Patekar recalls “bad memories” from sets of Parinda; says, “I don’t like Vidhu Vinod Chopra”



from Featured Movie News | Featured Bollywood News - Bollywood Hungama
via

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rajkummar Rao, Triptii Dimri and team of Vicky Vidya Ka Woh Wala Video celebrate wrap-up with a party, see photo

Ananya Panday looks sensational in black achromatic 3D-embroidered strapless Rahul Mishra dress with knee-high boots as she closes Lakme Fashion Week 2024, watch

Kunal Kemmu opens up about budgeting for his boys trips with Shahid Kapoor, Ishaan Khatter and others; says, “Because our tour is multiple days, there is a split system”