EXCLUSIVE: Adil Hussain confesses he has ZERO entourage members; also reveals that though he’s a recognizable face, many people still don't know his name: "Sometimes, at the airport, they would say 'Sir kya aap Kay Kay Menon hai?'"

12 years ago, the versatile actor Adil Hussain became a recognizable face when he starred as Sridevi’s husband in English Vinglish (2012). Now, he’ll share screen space with the late actress’ daughter Janhvi Kapoor in Ulajh. The actor was in a great mood as he talked about the film and a lot more during an exclusive interaction with Bollywood Hungama.

How do you feel that Ulajh will arrive in cinemas in 3 days? Do you feel nervous before the release of your film? And on the day of release, do you check the reactions on social media?

I am not nervous and I shouldn’t be. But I am very curious for sure to know what the reaction of the audience is going to be. I live in Delhi and I don’t think a premiere is going to be held here. But I’d like to quietly go in a morning show and watch it wearing my mask! I’ll take a few of my friends too.

English Vinglish made you a household face but for the next couple of years, I saw that many didn’t know your name. You used to be referred to as ‘Sridevi ka husband waale actor’…

They still do that. A lot of people don’t know my name yet and I am okay with that. I don’t have to be popular amongst everybody. Those who actually love my work would find out what I do.

I believe things have changed as time passed and today, many are aware that your name is Adil Hussain…

Yes, more people know me now. But still, sometimes, at the airport, they would say ‘Sir kya aap Kay Kay Menon hai?’(laughs)! And I reply, ‘I am sorry, I am not’. Then they’d list the films in which they saw me and they asked for a picture. I joke, ‘If you don’t know my name, I can’t give you a selfie’! Naseer saab also told me that once a guy came to him and addressed him as Om Puri. And Naseer saab told him, ‘Bhaago yahaan se’!

Nowadays, there has been a discussion on actor’s fees and their entourage. What’s your take?

It is like saying why should someone have a 26-storey for a few people in the family. But then that person has the freedom to build whatever he wants. I believe in minimalism and that ‘less is more’. I believe in ‘decent poverty’, that is, you have just enough; you have what is really needed, not what you want. Your desire can go like wild horses in every direction. As a practitioner of art, it is important to be moderate in everything, not just in wealth consumption but in every aspect of life. If you call yourself an artist and if you indulge in opulence, then you have to face the consequences of it. I am not saying it’s good or bad but there are consequences of wanting and consuming more things than you really need because you are depriving some people. There are limited resources on this finite planet. One needs to be aware of what kind of example you are leaving behind for the next generation. It’s common to read about opulence, somebody getting married and spending so much money. What kind of signal is it giving to the people who are living in this finite world? Then they’ll be inspired to grab whatever wealth they can in whatever possible way.

This is what I feel and this has to be a personal decision. You cannot dictate these things to a free country. It can come from a very evolved, conscious mind. For example, I don’t have any entourage. Recently, I was reading the contract of a big production house. They asked me, ‘How many people do you have in your team?’. I said, ‘None’. I further said, ‘You give me a make-up person, you give me a dedicated spot boy at your own cost, a large makeup van and a car with a driver’. It’s a conscious decision I have taken as I have to walk my talk. I can’t just lecture people and don’t practice what I preach.

You were a part of Goutam Ghose's Raahgir (co-starring Tillotama Shome and Neeraj Kabi). I remember watching it in 2019 at the Jio MAMI Film Festival and was blown away by the realism. It's been five years and it hasn't been released yet. Any idea when it'll have a release?

That’s the tragedy of our country. We have created an audience in the last 40-50 years who are not ready to watch something different. I have no idea (when it’ll be released). The producers have every intention to release it but they cannot invest, more than what the film has cost them, to release it. I don’t think OTT platforms are interested in buying the film. It speaks a lot about how far we still have to go.

Also Read: EXCLUSIVE: Neeraj Tiwari unveils slate of three dynamic films, including Adil Hussain starrer Postman



from Featured Movie News | Featured Bollywood News - Bollywood Hungama
via

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rajkummar Rao, Triptii Dimri and team of Vicky Vidya Ka Woh Wala Video celebrate wrap-up with a party, see photo

Ananya Panday looks sensational in black achromatic 3D-embroidered strapless Rahul Mishra dress with knee-high boots as she closes Lakme Fashion Week 2024, watch

Kunal Kemmu opens up about budgeting for his boys trips with Shahid Kapoor, Ishaan Khatter and others; says, “Because our tour is multiple days, there is a split system”